Behavioral Health Tech Lead
I. Position Function:
Provides ongoing oversight of Behavioral Health Technician responsibilities and assist in the development of a therapeutic culture and facilitates efficient milieu structure and administration.
Perform basic nursing functions under direction of Charge nurse.
II. Job Relationships
Will provide oversight and training to Behavioral Health technicians. Will provide proper documentation as well as refresher trainings as needed.
The milieu supervisor will partner with other departments including Intake, AT and social services as needed.
Maintaining a collaborative relationship with co-workers, charge nurse, shift supervisor and other hospital leaders.
Supervises staff by job category: BHT’s
Ability to problem solve crisis/emergency situations under guidance of charge nurse.
Communicate pertinent information with charge nurse and leadership as indicated.
A. Responsibilities/Essential functions:
• Demonstrates leadership skills in de-escalation, seclusion and restraint episodes to decrease adverse events following all hospital policies and procedures. Intervenes with staff requiring guidance to enhance their therapeutic skills in this area.
• Supports the patient discharge process and assigns duties to milieu staff, as necessary.
• Participates in weekly treatment team meetings and contributes insights from milieu staff.
• Facilitates Community Meeting, weekly, and any other psychoeducational groups, as needed.
• Provides oversight of groups being led by milieu staff and assists as needed.
• Ensures adherence by the entire staff to the program schedule.
• Manages patient charts and completes audits in a timely manner.
• Participate in the hiring process of milieu staff. Works collaboratively with the Nurse Manager and Human Resources to ensure the program is staffed efficiently and adequately.
• Trains all new milieu staff within their scope and coordinates training with clinical team members, as appropriate.
• Supports in facilitating 90-day, annual performance reviews, and growth plans for milieu staff.
• Manages milieu employees’ schedules to ensure that all shifts are covered, and staff are not incurring overtime hours.
• Possesses a complete and working knowledge of milieu staff job description to be able to support and supervise milieu staff.
• Responsible for covering milieu shifts, when needed.
• Functions as the Infection Control Officer and ensure staff adherence to Infection Control Protocols.
• Must be proficient in all company, Joint Commission, and HIPAA policies and procedures.
• Ensures the completion of weekly nourishment are, food rotation, and sanitation.
• Co-facilitates monthly employee trainings.
• Responsible for the maintenance of the facility and provides feedback for any environment of care issues.
• Performs any other assigned and/or requested duties.
• Demonstrate ability to perform peer guidance on all hospital policies and procedures including following chain of command when issues are not resolved.
• Contributes to effective unit organization. Supports team concepts and maintains positive, professional working relationships with all members of the health care team. Offers constructive suggestions for improvements in the department.
• Precepts new employees and communicates with nurse managers and educator areas of needed growth. Completes competencies for preceptees
• Functions as a patient/family advocate. Maintains ethical behavior and patient confidentiality. Addresses patients complaints requests in a manner that conveys caring and preserves dignity.
• Ensures safety rounds are completed each shift.
Monthly collects clinical oversight forms from psych techs and submits to manager.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
Performs related duties as assigned by Nurse Manager
V. Reporting requirements :
Reports to Nurse Manager
Reports serious incidents and or severe breaches in the quality of care to Charge Nurse and Nurse Manager
Is accountable for maintaining confidentiality of all patient/hospital/medical staff related information
Is accountable for abiding by St. Luke’s Behavioral Health Center policies and procedures.
Is accountable for maintaining current competencies.
Must be able to read, write, speak English and do simple arithmetic.
High school diploma or GED preferred
Working experience in a behavioral health facility or related field preferred.
One year management experience preferred